In a few months, you will surely need to repaint your house exterior. It might seem like an easy task; however, for beginners, do not underestimate exterior house painting. To achieve a high quality paint job, you must follow all rules of thumb and standard procedures. That is no exaggeration.
So, where are those procedures? They are just below this section. Read on to learn how to do exterior house painting the right and easy way.
1. The rule of thumb when house painting is that you should always make sure that the surface that you will paint on is spot clean. If you will be dealing with the walls outside your house, pressure wash it. If you do not have a pressure washer, you can use your garden house, some detergents, and a brush.
2. Look for any damages or imperfections on it that you can fix once the wall is clean. Ready your epoxy and spackle knife to fill holes in your wall. When the epoxy dries, make sure to sand it to achieve a smooth and flat surface.
3. The next step is to remove all the paint. You can do away with a paint stripper if a large area of the wall has paint on it or you can just use a scraper to remove any chipping paint. When using a paint stripper, make sure that you wear protective clothing. A drop of paint stripper stings a lot. You have been warned.
4. Reinforce your calks. To ensure that air will not go out or go inside your house, make sure that you redo your calk. You do not want to apply caulk when there is already paint on the surfaces. That will just appear ugly. You can use a caulk gun to make your life easier.
5. You are already a few steps away from the actual house painting job. At this point, protect your outdoor accessories and furniture pieces against drips and splatters of paint. You can cover outdoor lighting fixtures with plastic, you can use tape on windowsills, and you can place a canvas or drop clothes below the wall to capture the drips and splatters from the wall.
6. Apply primer on the wall. The paint can be white or any similar color to the final coat that you will apply. When painting, always make sure that you start from top and end at the bottom. This will prevent paint from dripping and forming paint tears or dribbles on the bottom part surface of your walls. Wait for the primer to dry a bit first before proceeding to the next step.
7. Apply your final coats of paint on the wall. Make sure that you apply paint evenly on the wall. Also, make sure that the color of the primer will not be visible on the new coats that you will place.
8. Let the paint dry for a few hours. After house painting, do some cleaning up. Remove the drop clothes that you used. Remove the plastic covers you installed. Scrape off the tapes and the dried paint on other surfaces.