Mold can be dangerous, even lethal, to have in the house. Although most common mold growths in households are not of the toxic mold variety, there is still a very high chance of toxic mold growing unnoticed in any house. Even in Dallas, or whichever city in Texas, where one might think it is too hot to have mold growing randomly, there is still a big possibility of toxic mold growing in a house. The reason behind this is that mold can thrive in even the hottest places if the conditions are right. These conditions are a continuous source of water for dampness in a dark area.
The various health issues that come with having a large colony of toxic mold in the house range from a pesky, recurring respiratory allergy to death. Health experts recommend immediate removal of a colony once its growth comes to the attention of the home owner. It is important that the person who will remove the fungus knows how to get rid of mold properly. If the home owner does not have the slightest clue, mold testing, removal and disposal should be left to experts. Below are very effective ways to get rid of a smaller, more manageable colony of mold in a house.
Mold removal experts recommend using a mixture of bleach, detergent and water on surface bleach. This kind of growth is usually present on surfaces that are easy to clean such as tiles, stone, plastic and fabric. Mold that grows on porous surfaces, such as wood, drywall and carpeting, may be more diffiuclt to remove if the colony is larger, more concentrated and has been around longer. To use the bleach mixture effectively, combine half a cup of bleach with 2 liters of water and a sprinkling of detergent. Stir the mixture until the detergent powder dissolves; if using liquid detergent, stir slowly until the liquid detergent incorporates well with the bleach and water.
Use protection when cleaning surface bleach. Rubber gloves over a long-sleeved shirt (end of shirt should be tucked into the rubber gloves), long pants, a mask and goggles are the home owner’s best protection against the strong chemicals. These protective measures are more important if working in an enclosed area with little ventilation. Open all windows and doors in order for fresh air to get in the room that is being cleaned.
The first thing to do is to use a sponge to dab the bleach mixture on the surface with mold. Let the bleach sit for a minute or two on the moldy surface before scrubbing. Some or all of the mold should come of with just a light scrubbing since some surfaces might tarnish or peel off with vigorous scrubbing. Some mold might also grow on the grout (the white substance used to attach and seal the tiles in place). Use some care in scrubbing the grout since bleach might have a deteriorating effect on it. If this happens, a new sealer might need to be reapplied after a successful removal of the mold.
If mold is found on fabric, it may be better to just use detergent first. Bleach and even just a light scrubbing can be too strong for some fabrics. On carpeting, the bleach mixture described above may be used but with more water (4 liters of water to half a cup of bleach).
An important reminder regarding the use of bleach in cleaning. DO NOT combine bleach and ammonia. The combination will produce a gas that can be poisonous when inhaled or if it touches human skin.
If these don’t work, Give us a Call: Mold Remediation Houston